Friday, April 27, 2007

Me And A Fish Named Blue




I finally caught some fish at place called Indian Mound near where I live. I've been fishing there on and off for the past three seasons and have been unsuccessful at landing anything bigger than a lizard fish. Just by the name alone you know that the Lizard fish is not something a true sportsman like myself would seek. Although there have been times when even a lizard fish would have been welcomed. The Lizard Fish will attempt to eat anything including this hapless Gobi. The Gobi is probably wondering where the relationship went wrong. This is one fish that's so ugly that it will never make the endangered species list.

My big catch happened when I decided to kill some time just before dark. It was to early to go to my favorite watering hole, "The Coconut Grove", and I didn't feel like traveling very far. I went to a place called Indian Mound, so named because it is an old Indian burial ground. It has been turned into a state park and boat launch. If Indian Mound is truly haunted like many of the locals believe, it sure hasn't done anything to scare off all the druggies and homeless people that congregate there every night. Its not a place to visit after dark but I have been there just before sunset and shortly after when the moon is on the rise. Last night was one of those special nights that could have been used as a postcard if someone had been on shore taking pictures of me stalking fish. When the Sun was nearly down the sky was a brilliant reddish-orange on the entire western horizon. Even though my silhouette would have been a little rounder than I would have liked, as evidenced by the picture of me and Mr. Blue, it still would have made a great picture.

I have stalked these flats when the water was dead still except for the shoals of bait fish working the shallows and the game fish working them. It is a very fishy looking spot, that's why I kept going back. I just have had no luck catching a nice fish till last evening. Not only did I catch this great bluefish but I also caught a nice Flounder and hooked but lost a big bull Redfish that I got a chance to see up close before it decided that I was to small to keep.

Got some great pictures of the Red Hat Society and their parade down Dearborn Street, but I'll save those till next time. It might just be to much to handle all in one day.


till next time,
Semper Fi,

Monk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,
Nice fish you have there! Did you end up letting it go or what? Are those blue fish good eating, if so I hope you fried it up. It's funny how you keep poking at your "roundness", or what I would call an "aged and distinguished manly frame"! It looks like you are having a great day everyday, so it makes me happy to say the least. Well it is Sunday and Dad has some more yard work to do once again. I'm working on the lawn, specifically the grass, it was a little lacking when I accepted the house. So I have tried my green thumb at it and it grows like weeds now in some areas and does not grow at all in others. So here in the next couple of weeks I'm having a front end deliver a load of compost so I can completely refill these bad spots with fresh dirt, not sand and re-seed it all together. What a drawn out process just to get some green shit. Oh well I'll do it becuase it will be nice for Dakota. Shannon and I are doing great and having a wonderful time with Dakota everyday. It's quite the experience being parents, something that I am totaly glad that I am able to be a part of. Well I'm blabbling on this blog when I could just call you, so I'm going to make my exit now.

Love,
Trav, Shan and Dakota